- Prayer – speak to God first. Pray for the leading of the Holy Spirit.
- Honesty- be honest before God, with yourself and with the person with whom you are speaking.
- Observation- Listen with both your ears and eyes.
- Concern- Have and show real concern for the person with whom you are speaking.
- Careful listening – Listen to what is said and what is not said.
- Understanding and help where possible.
- Dare to be unimportant
- Do not be afraid to make mistakes-acknowledge your mistakes, don’t make excuses for them
- Availability – be available, even when it is difficult.
We send signals that are contrary to our words by the way we dress, our bodily posture, physical proximity, facial expression, gestures and eye contact. The eye is the window of the soul. Our eyes carry messages that may drown out what our mouth may be saying.